32 Strange Health Facts that may have a ring of truth to them
We’ve discovered some strange health facts that might just boggle your mind and cause you to swear off fast-food forever.
- Violence can lower your cholesterol? A study of 79 777 patients was conducted which revealed violent criminals to have a lower cholesterol level than non-violent people.
- If you lost your stomach, 80% of your intestines, and 75% of your liver, one kidney, one lung and every organ from your pelvic down to your groin area, you’d still manage to stay alive.
- You will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
- The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.
- Sneezes can exceed 50mph and coughs approximately 60 mph.
- Identical twins smell the same.
- Your nose can remember 50 000 different scents.
- The human brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulbs.
- Approximately three hundred million cells in the human body die every minute.
- Studying for a test? Don’t fear. The human brain cell can hold five times the information of an Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- Your brain cannot feel pain.
- Your body generates a new stomach lining every three to four days – no surgery required.
- The surface area of your lung is equal to that of a tennis court. Read all about it.
- A lady’s heart beats faster than a gentleman’s.
- Ladies blink twice as many times as gentlemen.
- Pregnant women dream the most about frogs, worms and potted plants during their first trimester.
- After eating large amounts of food, your hearing is less sharp.
- The smallest of noise can cause your pupils to dilate.
- Apparently your risk of getting a heart attack on a Monday is greater according to a ten year study conducted in Scotland.
- Humans can survive longer without food than sleep. If you’ve gone a couple of days without sleep, your mind goes completely loopy.
- Here’s one of your more macabre health facts: A human head can remain conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after decapitation.
- We are about 1 cm taller in the morning than in the evening.
- The jawbone is the hardest bone in the human body.
- Walking has always been the best form of exercise. Why? You use 200 muscles to take one step.
- Bone’s strength can surpass the strength of some steel.
- Consuming fruit and vegetables can help the human body produce aspirin.
- A 60 minute nap can improve alertness of up to 10 hours.
- Foreign Accent Syndrome, Exploding Head Syndrome and Alice in Wonderland Syndrome are all real conditions.
- Chewing mint-flavoured gum can decrease feelings of fatigue. Some studies have also shown that chewing gum can improve test scores and improve memory by 35%. Guess someone should tell this to teachers.
- One in 20 people have an extra rib and this is often found in men.
- Twinkies in America, a treat similar to the South African Tinkie, is made with cellulose gum to give it its smooth sensation. This ingredient is also used in rocket fuel to give it a gelatinous feel.
- A McDonald’s burger can last for 14 years barely changing in appearance. Don’t believe us? Look at this.
What strange health facts have you come across recently?